Common Patient Questions
If you are considering veneers, you likely have many questions. The questions we are most commonly asked are:
- How do I know if I am a good candidate for veneers? The best way to know for sure is to schedule a consultation. We will look at your past x-rays, examine your teeth, smile, and bite, and take pictures to document where you are today. If we believe veneers are good options for you, we can take impressions and create mock-ups of what you would look like with veneers.
- How long does the process take? From start to finish, the process is usually five appointments (including the initial consultation and a quick follow-up check after the veneers are cemented in place). The total length of time depends on several factors, including patient availability, how many revisions are needed, and the length of time to create the final veneers.
- How do I know I will like my veneers? Our team at Plush is committed to ensuring you are happy with the result. This is why we take extra time to create models, give you temporary veneers to wear for about a week, and try in the final veneers for your approval before we cement them in place. We will not cement them until you are confident they are giving you the look you want.
- How long do veneers last? As with any prosthetic, veneers will eventually need to be replaced. However, most patients get anywhere from 7 to 15 years out of their veneers.
- How careful do I have to be with my veneers once they are in place? Generally, we tell our patients to resume regular activity once the cement has set. Regular oral hygiene practices are as important with veneers as without. Veneers are resistant to staining, and they are very strong. However, we would not advise biting into very hard items like ice.
- If I decide veneers aren’t for me, what are my other options? Depending on your individual circumstances, your best alternatives to veneers are likely bonding (for minor imperfections and chips) or crowns (for more severe cases). If you are debating between veneers and one of these options, we are happy to set up a consultation to review the specifics of your case. We can then develop an action plan that will get you the results you are looking for.